Homemade Healthy (ish) Nachos

Inspired by Gabriella Lindley (velvetgh0st), I've recently been loving making and more importantly, eating homemade tortilla chips. I saw her make some in one of her vlogs and thought I'd give it a try myself. In doing so, I've also been able to experiment a bit and create a few recipes for/with them. In this post, I thought I'd share my most recent, delicious creation. These remind me of a cross between nachos and pizza (minus the tomato sauce).

Ingredients

Tortilla Wraps (1 or 2 per person)
Mushrooms
Cheddar Cheese
Coriander
Chilli Flakes

The ingredients are interchangeable so if you don't like something or have something you want to add (I think sweetcorn might be nice) you can easily do so. (Salsa may also make a nice accompaniment.)

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
2. Cut your tortilla wraps into triangles of whatever size you'd like.
3. Place half of the cut tortillas in an oven dish and put into the oven (avoid placing them on top of each other if possible as this makes them less likely to crisp).
4. Whilst they're in the oven, slice the coriander and mushrooms.
5. Once the tortilla chips have started to brown and crisp (8-10 minutes ish), remove them from the oven.
6. Place the coriander, mushrooms, chilli flakes and grated cheese over the layer of tortillas.
7. Put back in the oven for another 5 minutes or so until the cheese has started to melt.
8. Remove from the oven and add the last half of tortilla chips on top of the melted cheese, again try to avoid layering them on top of one another if possible to ensure optimum crisp).
9. Put back into the oven for approximately 8-10 minutes or until they have started to brown and crisp.
10. Remove from the oven and add a bit more grated cheese, chilli flakes and coriander.
11. Place back in the oven for about five minutes or until the dish is cooked to the level you would like.
12. Remove from the oven and serve.

I think these would be great with a Mango salsa like the one featured in this post or with a spicy tomato salsa. They are also great for one person or for a gathering.

If you would like to create some tortilla crisps on their own, you can do that by simply completing steps one to three and just baking them until they reach the golden, crisp stage you are after.

Thank you for reading this post, I hope you enjoyed it. If you decide to give it a go, you'll have to let me know how it goes and if you discover anything else that goes nicely with the dish. If you liked this and want to see more from me, you can follow my social media links in the top right hand corner of my blog to see when I next upload.

Love, Steph x

No comments