Happy Box DIY

Today's post is a little different to anything I've done before as it's more of a DIY style post, where I show you how I made and how you, if you'd like to, could make a Happy Box. I mentioned this in my 'Summer Essentials' post (here) as it's something I think is perfect for yourself to keep memories and nice messages, or for somebody else as a nice gift. I actually made two, one for myself and one for one of my best friends.

What You Will Need:
  • A plain or patterned box or jar (whichever you think is best for you, I opted for a box)
  • Plain card or 'business cards' card 
  • Scissors
  • Coloured Pens
  • Ribbon
  • Photographs
  • Anything that makes you happy
Instructions:


Step One: Choose a box or jar that you'd like to use, if it's a plain box, you can decorate however you'd like. Some suggestions would be to use wrapping paper or patterned paper, stickers and embellishments, drawing whatever you like over it or getting people to write little messages on the box itself. I chose to buy a patterned box which says 'Create your own happiness' on both sides of the lid, so I felt it was very appropriate.

Step Two: Cut the card into smallish pieces (whatever size you'd like each note to be). Alternatively, if you buy some 'business cards' card like I did, you can skip this step as its easier to draw your design first before tearing it into the different sections. If you can get your hands on some 'business cards' card, I recommend doing so as it is so much easier, neater and more accurate than cutting regular card.

Step Three: This is where you can start to get creative and make your notelets individual to you. Use felt tips, pencil crayons, ribbon... whatever you like basically to create a design on each card (or you can skip this step and leave it plan but then it could be seen as less personal to you). If you want some inspiration of designs you could do, check out the ones I did below; I created 8 different designs and put 5 of each in both my friend's and my own box. They're all very simple and easy designs to do but I felt like they went nicely with my box and would make me smile- I am definitely not an artist though.
























Step Four: If you used regular card, you can skip this step. If you used 'business cards' card then this is the time where you can tear along the tear lines to separate each notelet (I found it easier to fold both ways along the lines first which prevented me from ripping the card where I didn't want it ripping). Your cards are now ready to write on.


Step Five: Add any messages or memories to your cards and place them in the box. You may want a separate place for your blank cards (or you can place them in the box as well), and you could ask friends or family to leave you little messages when they come round, in order to make you smile. There are a couple of examples of messages I wrote for my friend, just after step three.

Step Six: Add anything else to your box that will make you happy, this could be photographs, souvenirs, ribbons.. whatever you want to include; it's your box so make it personal to you.

Step Seven: If your box is for someone else (or this could apply if you want to add it to your own box), make your own 'instructions' note to stick on the top. Mine reads; 'Fill this box with happy thoughts, from yourself or from your friends, to cheer you up when you are down for love that never ends'. I wrote this on a little post-it-note which I stuck to the inside lid of the box.

I hope you've enjoyed reading this different style blog post, let me know what you think in the comments.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Love, Steph x

If you liked this post, please share it and follow if you want to read more blog posts.

No comments