Week Away: Fuerteventura

Hiya, today I thought I'd do a slightly different blog post, in which I share little stories about my week.

It all started last Wednesday (the 8th) when I hopped on a plane with my mum, dad, brother and grandparents, and headed off for a week in Fuerteventura. It was a much needed break and was lovely to spend time with the family and enjoy the sun in a beautiful environment, doing practically nothing.

It was a bit of a bumpy start when I came down with what I assume to be a 24 hour bug on the day of the flight which resulted in my feeling dizzy, hot, cold, sick, headachy and just generally not great! Not the best circumstances for a four hour flight. On top of that, it also happened to be the day of the French air strikes meaning the four hour flight became a five and a half hour one due to an hour wait before take off and having to make a slight flight course change in order to avoid flying over french air space. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy the flight there and was feeling rather groggy when we actually reached the hotel.

The next day, I was feeling significantly better and was looking forward to a day by the pool, tanning (or attempting to) in the sun and as well as reading, eating, swimming and revising, this was pretty much what I did the rest of the week.

As well as enjoying the relaxing time, there were several moments that I'm sure I will remember for a long time, many funny had-to-be-there moments and many funny conversations, so I thought I'd share with you some of these so that you can hopefully imagine the great amusement it provided and so that I can look back at this in years to come and refresh my memory of these moments.

Within the first half hour of us sunbathing by the pool, my parents returned from the welcome meeting and had nipped into the hotel shop and picked up a frisbee and some balls. My dad decided to throw the frisbee to my brother who stupidly decided to throw it back to him... only it didn't quite go where he intended it to go, instead what seemed to happen in slow motion, the frisbee curved left towards a mum who was putting suncream on her son who looked 3 or 4 years old, just as we thought it was going to hit this mother's arm, she stepped back slightly at the perfect (or not so perfect!) moment so that the frisbee went smack bang into the poor boys face. As you can probably imagine, there was a lot of gasping and apologising and even some crying heard from the boy. My brother did feel very guilty and made sure the boy was okay, who despite the injury, soon felt better after my brother gave him his sweets to cheer him up, but it was definitely a memorable start to the holiday.
Later on that week, after several more minor stupid comments and moments by my brother and some from the other family members, my brother returned to our table at dinner in hysterics after going to the toilet. Puzzled at what had caused him so much amusement, we eagerly awaited his explanation and eventually he managed to get out his story through fits of laughter. He had entered the bathroom, and seeing that the urinals were all occupied, he made his way over to the cubicle, thinking it was empty considering it was unlocked, he barged into the cubicle, smacking the door open. Unfortunately, the cubicle was not unoccupied and he had managed to smack the door into this man, who got knocked into and pressed up against the wall between it and the door, knocking his knee on the toilet and weeing on the floor in the process. To top it all off, the man not only forgave my brother, but took responsibilty for the mishap and apologised to my brother for not locking the door. When I heard this little detail, I couldn't contain myself, the story had been funny enough but for him to take full responsibilty just topped it off. All in all, I don't think I have ever seen my brother laugh so much, nor have I ever laughed so hard at a situation that I didn't actually see unfold.
To finish the holiday off, possibly my funniest moment of the holiday has to be at the airport when I was waiting to go through the security scanner and saw my grandpa being searched on the other side. He had had to remove his belt and put it through the scanner... you can probably see where I'm going with this... He stood with his legs slightly apart as the security guard searched his body, but he obviously needed his belt because the next thing I saw was his trousers fall down, luckily not so that it was too revealing but it did expose his boxers before he had chance to grab his trousers and pull them back up. I couldn't contain my laughter as I headed through the scanner and for a long time after the incident but it must have been embarrassing for him. It was definitely a moment that I will remember for a long time.


I hope you enjoyed this different style blog post and I'd love for you to let me know what other posts you'd like to see and/or your thoughts on this style in the comments.

Love, Steph x

If you liked this post, please share it and follow if you want to read more blog posts.


No comments