Paper Towns Review

After the big rave about The Fault In Our Stars and how absolutely perfect it was, I have to be honest and say that although I did love it (both the book and the film), the book wasn't as good as I was expecting... I'd heard so many people talk about it, say how sad it was and how incredible the book was overall so I had very high expectations. I won't say I was disappointed but, I think my expectations were a bit too high and I didn't love it as much as I expected to. Having said that, I liked John Green's style of writing and when I saw a buy one get one free deal on his (and some other people's) books a while ago, I picked up Paper Towns, Will Grayson, Will Grayson and An Abundance of Katherines (plus another book for my Grandma's birthday). So far, I have only read Paper Towns which I read on holiday last week but I really really enjoyed it, more so than The Fault In Our Stars. I think because I hadn't heard a great deal about it or lots of people raving about it, it gave me more room to enjoy it and build my own expectations and thoughts on it as it went along. The only negative for me was that I had seen the trailer for the film (which I am very excited to see) so I couldn't really use my imagination for the main characters as I just pictured Nat Wolff and Cara Delevingne, but even so, it didn't really matter too much.

The writing style of the book and the way it gets you thinking is amazing and I loved it, with so many deep and meaningful thoughts behind it and plots that make you question your own beliefs and ideas; it really was beautifully written. The other key thing I liked was that it was from a male perspective which is rare in the books I read and it made it feel a bit fresh and interesting even though it didn't really make a great deal of difference to anything else in the book.

I feel like this book would be a good read for a range of people; anyone who loves a good plot, a well written book or one that evokes a lot of thoughts and questioning.

Let me know your thoughts on the book if you've read it or any other book suggestions you may have, I'm always open to finding new books.

Love, Steph x

If you liked this post, please share it and follow if you want to read more blog posts.

4 comments

  1. I love this book and absolutely cannot wait for the film!! The Fault in Our Stars is my all time favourite book, but I read it quite early on before all the hype, so I didn't have the high expectations and I just completely fell in love with the characters and the story, I must have read it a million times! You need to read Looking for Alaska, that's my second favourite by him, it's such a beautiful story xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, tfios was definitely a good book it was just the high expectations that ruined it a bit for me, I want to read looking for alaska too but I'm going to wait until I've finished some of my other hundreds of books to read, including the other john green books I have but you've definitely increased my want to read it :) xxx

      Delete
  2. I read this book a little while ago, I posted a review to go with it on my blog. I enjoyed it more than TFIOS too and If you haven't read Looking for Alaska you really should as that's also a really amazing book, and in my opinion sadder than TFIOS. I'm currently reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson and that's also really good. Nice blog post :) xoxo
    - Lolarainxx.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember if I read that review but I've read almost all of your posts so I probably did :) I'll have to have another look. Looking for Alaska is definitely on my last of books to buy/read but I have such a huge pile to get through at the moment (I'm always buying books!) and with exams coming up, it will probably be a while before I get chance to do so. I've started Will Grayson, Will Grayson and like it so far but haven't got very far into it yet. Thank you <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete